June 2005 July 2005 Adventures in Italy: The End

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The End

Well, I'm back home. My flight out of Florence was delayed, so I had to sprint my heart out across the airport to make my connecting flight in Paris. I made it..... but my luggage didn't. I'm supposed to be getting it by tomorrow (let's keep our fingers crossed).

Valentina asked us everyday, "What is the first thing you're going to do when you get home". Well, my first action was getting in the car at the airport and telling my mom to drive me to a fast-food restaurant! I needed some greasy, fried, processed food, and I needed it quick! Other than that, I've just been catching up on CNN and sleep.
I'm thoroughly enjoying the air conditioning, english television, cold milk, and needed laziness!! However, I would rather be in Italy. After showing my mom a couple pics and some video last night, I realized how much I miss all my friends from abroad and all of our adventures. It saddens me to know that I won't be able to catch a train this weekend and go someplace new. There is no doubt in my mind that I'll be visiting/living in Italy again sometime soon.

I read up some in my free time during the trip. I came across this quote that I felt was worthy of writing down:

"There is no concorde that flies us from immaturity to maturity in a few hours.
There is only a narrow, bumpy road where a few people walk together as they journey to God."

My first impression of this trip was that it would be the "concorde" that took me through the fast lane to maturity. Heck, if I could make it in Italy by myself, I could do anything. I think that I soon realized that "fending for yourself" is much different than maturity. Granted, I took a couple steps forward on the path during this month.....I no longer believe that there is a destination on this narrow bumpy road, but rather it's an ongoing journey.

I also realized that the people I least expected can teach me the most about who I am. I learned so much about my dependence on earthly things/people and how I make them my lesser idols.

Many people have asked whether or not I figured out the key questions to my life during this trip. One goal of mine was to step back from my daily routine to evaluate the big picture..... where am I supposed to go from here and how do I fit into God's plan? I'm still undecided on my life and my future, but I think that my experiences this summer have done alot for figuring out what I need to work on before I can make those decisions.

I made some amazing friendships this month, and I also received so much support from my friends/family at home. I want to thank you all for adventuring with me whether it be catching the trains or reading the stories. I love you all very much!

God Bless!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home